The 10th annual Pedal Power Wildflower Ride — a fund-raiser for the Hill Country Childrens’ Advocacy Center — is on for April 4. Looking for some more motorcycle SAG/support escorts. There are waypoint/route files available for your GPS if you wish to help. Click for Garmin .gdb format or Garmin .mps format. Generic .gpx format here. The details on what we do is as follows:
Here is the HCCAC website on the ride: http://hccac.org/howhelp/pedalpower/index.html
Directions and route maps: http://hccac.org/howhelp/pedalpower/directions.html
Click on this link for a Google Maps display centered on the parking lot of the start area.
What we do:
We’ll divide up the routes (the bicycles ride 12/23/36/62 mile routes and patrol our assigned areas looking for anyone who is broken down, exhausted or injured. We have handheld repeater radios from the LCRA and have good contact to vehicles with repair tools and ability to haul someone and their bike back to the start area.
Most of us will be done around noon. I’ll need a couple to commit to about 2pm or so to make final sweeps of each route to make sure everyone is off the course.
There are breakfast goodies and spaghetti for lunch.
If you’ve ridden before and took your yellow “caution” overshirt home, bring it.
What you need to do upon arrival:
- Arrive at the start area by 8:30 gassed and ready to go.
- Bring your cell phone.
- If you have a bicycle tube repair kit or valve stem or fork tools, bring those.
- Check in at the volunteer tent.
- Get a radio (they’ll be in a rack in the pavillion/dining hall)
- Pick up paper maps in the dining hall
- Pick up list of emergency numbers in the dining hall
- Pick up a few bottles of water for yourself and riders who may need some
- Rendezvous with me at 8:45 and we’ll divide up routes. I’ll be outside at my motorcycle.